Thursday, October 6, 2011

Music is my hot hot bubble bath

Good Music should be made in a way that evokes others senses and even emotions when you hear it. Every song does something different for different people. The music needs to sync with the lyrics.
Example: Switchfoot's album The Beautiful Letdown brings me back in 8th grade and I can literally smell the chill in the air from winter when I had art class and we'd listen to it every day.
What is the saddest song to you?
The best song ever?
The song that really hits home?
The worst song ever..?

Even though I know no one really cares, I am about to list some of my favorite songs ever, and why.

9 Crimes: This song by Damien Rice has been #1 on my favorite list since 2007. Why? To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. It's simple, depressing, and confusing. So why is this my all time favorite song ever? Maybe because it evokes such emotion, especially in the intro piano solo. It makes my insides feel wet, as if I cried so much it soaked through my skin. Boston by Augustana is the same way.


Hide and Seek: Imogen Heap is so strange when it comes to music, this song shouldn't have given me any surprise by its weirdness. But it does. Acapella voices (all hers) make the melody strange to listen to, but soothing. It reminds me of my brother.

It's Dangergous Business Walking out you Front Door: This song by UnderOATH was titled because of Lord of the Rings, which makes me love it even more. It is my favorite UnderOATH song ever, and it never ceases to give me goosebumps when the boys choir sings "drowning in my sleep." It brings me back to high school.


Dark Blue and Swim: Both by Jack's Mannequin, these songs bring about a pounding in my heart. Dark Blue reminds me of my best friend Charmaine, and it also gives such vivid images of a town being flooded. "Have you ever been alone in a crowded room" completely hits home and is the driving force that makes me love this song the most. Swim, in my mind, is Jesus telling me to press on through trial and tribulations in my life.


The Chain: This is the only song I play well in the piano, and it has been sung by my friends at PBA so many times. It reminds me of my wonderful times as a freshman in college. Yay Ingrid Michaelson!

Times: I'm not a big fan of Tenth Ave. North, but this song hits home and always brings tears to my eyes.



I Celebrate the Day: A Christmas song by Relient K that breaks my heart, because the Lord deserves so much better than what I offer Him.

Lady: This song by Regina Spektor has a cool jazz feel, and it gives me the image of a rainy bar in New York with a lonely singer gracing the few people in the audience with her sad song.


WORST SONG EVER: For me, this is the stupid Journey song "Don't Stop Believing." I am convinced that I am the only person in the world who loathes this song. We would listen to it every Friday in high school in drama class, and everyone would sing along very badly. The song irks me to the point of my heartbeat racing. Plus, it's basically about a one-night stand, so there's no real worth to it. So, do not ever play this song at my funeral or I will haunt you till the end of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment